1. Determine Your Skin Tone. Locate an area on your body where veins are visible, usually the wrist serves as a good reference point. Based on the color of your veins, your skin tone may fall into one of two categories, cool or warm:
* Cool skin tones are identifiable by bluish colored veins. People with cooler skin tones tend to sunburn very easily, and may notice pinkish or rosy-red undertones when looking in the mirror. Eye color typically includes light-blue, blue-green, gray-green, and gray-blue. These skin tones usually range from very fair to moderately fair.
* Warm skin tones are identifiable by greenish colored veins. People with warmer skin tones tend to tan easily, have a high threshold for sunburns, and may notice yellow or golden-apricot undertones when looking in the mirror. Eye color typically includes green, hazel, dark brown, and amber. These skin tones usually range from medium to olive brown/dark.
2. Pick a metal and complementary color:
o Cool skin tones favor metals such as silver, platinum, and white gold.
o Warm skin tones favor metals such as gold, pewter, brass, and copper.
* Complementary Colors:
o Cool skin tones favor stones such as white pearls and diamonds. Stone color should focus on jewel tones such as pinks, purples, rich blues, greens, and magentas.
o Warm skin tones favor stones such as corral or golden toned pearls. Stone color should focus on earth tones such as browns, oranges, brownish- greens, yellows, and yellowish-greens.
3. Consider the shape of your face:
* Heart/Inverted Triangle/Diamond Shaped Face:
o Earrings: dangle or drop earrings help to lengthen the face.
o Necklaces: chokers help contrast and soften the sharp angle of the chin.
* Round/Square/Triangular Shaped Face:
o Earrings: try elongated shapes such as ovals, or angular shapes such as rectangles. Square shaped faces look particularly well in teardrop earrings.
o Necklaces: look for necklaces that elongate your face, typically necklaces that extend below the neckline (28" to 32").
* Rectangular/Oblong Shaped Face:
o Earrings: choose short or round earrings to contrast the longer face shape.
o Necklaces: chokers, especially if you have a long neck.
* Oval Shaped Face:
o Earrings: dangle earrings (not too long), preferably angular shaped.
o Necklaces: can be either long or short (if long neck, than chose a shorter necklace)